Hey, thanks for sticking through all of that!
Because I’m only human and my thoughts on these kinds of identity politics are constantly evolving, and because I ended up covering several more topics than I originally intended to, and because I’ve only had one cup of coffee today (what???), I may have said stuff you disagree with, or stuff you want to discuss more, or stuff that’s just straight-up confusing. I love conversation and I always appreciate the chance to learn more and hear other viewpoints. In the interest of keeping any discussion streamlined, though, I’m restricting comments to just this post.
Thanks for reading!
Further recommended reading/viewing:
- Click on any of the original artwork in the posts to be taken to the artist’s site.
- Bleeding Feminism: Internalized Misogyny: “I’m Not Like Most Girls!”
- MadLori: “Screw writing ‘strong’ women”
- And this accompanying gif set
- Delladilly’s YA lit tag
- The 12 Best Parodies of the “Other Girls vs Me” Meme
- The music video for “F**kin’ Perfect” that made me cry like a baby. This is the explicit version, so content warnings for drug use, self-harm, implied disordered eating, attempted suicide, language — like basically everything. Also tears. Also it stars Tina Majorino! That’s not a warning, that’s awesome.
Got other stuff we should be reading? Drop it in the comments below!